Unique Projects, Inc. (UP) is a not-for-profit fiscal sponsorship program administered by Pentacle. The program is designed to connect performing artists to the funding resources needed to make and show work. Through Unique Projects, enrolled artists solicit tax-deductible contributions from individuals, foundations, and government grant programs. Unique Projects functions as a crucial link between artists and the individuals, corporations, and foundations that are interested in supporting artistic creativity and adventurous work.
Unique Projects Perks
- UP accepts both monetary and in-kind donations for artists.
- UP offers a special discount rate for unincorporated, independent artists.
- Artists can begin an annual contract with UP at any point in the year, on the first of each month.
- No annual or membership fee for artists who are not receiving in-kind contributions.
- Artists are eligible to receive non-profit rental rates at rehearsal studios in New York City.
- UP issues tax-receipt thank you letters to donors on behalf of artists.
- UP accepts monetary contributions in the form of checks and credit card donations via Paypal.
- New York-based artists sponsored by UP can apply for funding through NYSCA.
- Donations are re-granted to artists on a timely basis as they are received.
- For unincorporated artists, UP charges a processing fee of 5.5% of all monetary contributions received and re-granted to artists.
- For LLCs and incorporated artists, UP charges a processing fee of 7.5% of all monetary contributions received and re-granted to the LLC or corporation.
- For artists wishing to receive in-kind contributions, UP charges an annual membership fee of $100. There are no annual or membership fees for artists not wishing to receive in-kind contributions.
Eligibility for fiscal sponsorship through Unique Projects
- Solicitation of funds by artists must be for non-commercial purposes.
- The project must further the shared mission of Unique Projects and Pentacle of advancing the performing arts. To see Pentacle’s mission in full, click here.
Q: How does it work?
A: Individuals and organizations wishing to support your work make their checks payable to Unique Projects, Inc., earmarked for your project/company/organization. Upon receipt of monies for your work, Pentacle will deposit all checks received and issue the re-grant for the donated amount less the processing fee.
Q: How do I apply to become a fiscally sponsored artist of Unique Projects?
A: Click here to submit an application online.
Q: Does Unique Projects need to approve my solicitation letters and grant applications?
A: Fundraising proposals to foundations and corporations that are submitted under the name of Unique Projects, Inc. must be submitted to UP for approval no less than 14 days prior to the proposal deadline.
Q: What in-kind donations does Unique Projects accept?
A: Unique accepts tangible non-cash items (furniture, clothes, etc) and space donations valued at less than $5,000. Unique does not accept pro-bono services such as legal aid.
Q: How long does it take Unique to send me my check after funds have been received?
A: Re-grant checks are mailed to artists within two weeks of receiving the original donation.
Q: Why should I use Unique Projects as my fiscal sponsor?
A: Unique projects is a small fiscal sponsorship organization. This allows our program administrator to be very timely and accessible to our sponsored artists. If you have any questions about UP, do not hesitate to email program administrator John Hoobyar at email@example.com.
Q: How soon can I start receiving donations through UP after my application is approved?
A: Once your application has been approved we will mail you a contract to sign and send back to us. We can accept funds on your behalf as soon as we receive your signed contract. New contracts are issued for the first day of every month.
Q: What is Unique Projects’ relationship to Pentacle?
A: Unique Projects, Inc. is a program administered by Pentacle (DanceWorks, Inc.) but is a separate organization with its own 501(c)(3) status. Pentacle staff manage UP and are in contact with artists sponsored by UP.