Supplementing arts curriculum with professional Teaching Artists
Pentacle’s In-School Programs provide culturally responsive-sustaining education for K-12 students in topics related to the dance field, inspiring them to explore a range of careers in the performing arts. Building upon our successful model of providing both artistic and career mentorship at the professional level, Pentacle’s In-School Programs are designed to be flexible, fitting the needs of a broad range of partner schools, supplementing their arts curricula, and providing them with mission-driven, socially conscious teaching artists that reflect the diversity of their student body.
All of Pentacle’s In-School Programs are aligned with:
For over 15 years, Pentacle has partnered with NYC public and charter schools, including:
- Talent Unlimited High School (grade 10) - Manhattan
- William Cullen Bryant High School (grades 9,10, & 11) - Queens
- South Bronx Charter School for International Cultures and the Arts (grades K-5) - Bronx
- Lower Manhattan Arts Academy (grades 9-12) - Manhattan
- Bronx Dance Academy (grades 6-8) - Bronx
- Frank Sinatra School of the Arts (grades 9-12) - Queens
- Gramercy Arts High School - Manhattan
- Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis High School for International Careers - Manhattan
Pentacle’s Teaching Artists come from Pentacle’s services and programs, and are carefully selected to match their professional and educational expertise with the needs of our partner schools.
Current and Past Teaching Artists include:
- Davalois Fearon (Davalois Fearon Dance)
- Marlon “International” Mills
- Stephanie Peña
- Leah Tubbs (MODArts Dance Collective)
- Emily Schoen (Schoen Movement Company)
- Joya Powell (Movement of the People Dance Company)
- Candace Tabbs (Movement of the People Dance Company)
- J. Bouey (Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Company and J. Bouey Dance Projects)
The In-School Programs feature a flexible program design that can have a wide or narrow focus depending on the school’s needs. Pentacle Teaching Artists work closely with certified dance teachers at each school.
Class topics can include but are not limited to:
- Stage Management
- Theatrical Production Design
- Alternative Careers in the Arts
- Community & Culture
- Marketing & Branding
- Writing for the Arts
Pentacle’s In-School Programs are supported, in part, by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Kathy Hochul and the New York State Legislature and the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council. Pentacle receives private support for its In-School Programs from The Hyde and Watson Foundation, The Lotos Foundation, and the West Harlem Development Corporation.